RadicallyCentered

Occassional reflections of a moderate (hey at least I think I am)

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Paul Wolfowitz -- Prophet

Atrios points out this new poll which says that 53% of Americans don’t believe the Iraq invasion was “worth it”. The story asks why “there has been very little press coverage of why, in light of some positive developments in Iraq, this is true.”

Well in fact there has been much coverage of why support has eroded for the invasion. Simply put, the failure to find WMDs and significant connections between Saddam Hussein and Al-Qaeda type terrorist organizations has diminished the American public’s support for the invasion despite the fact that some of the fruits of the labor may be here or on the horizon.

As Paul Wolfowitz noted:
there have always been three fundamental concerns. One is weapons of mass destruction, the second is support for terrorism, the third is the criminal treatment of the Iraqi people. . . . The third one by itself . . . is a reason to help the Iraqis but it's not a reason to put American kids' lives at risk, certainly not on the scale we did it.


It is not historical revisionism to point out that what “sold” the American people on the invasion was WMD and Saddam’s connection to Osama. Some people (including I suspect Mr. Wolfowitz and Prof. Reynolds) always believed that the third reason was the best reason. I suspect that history will prove them right that this was the best of the three reasons (if only because history may show the weakness of evidence for the first two reasons). These people cannot, however, legitimately claim that that reason was the primary reason given to the American people for the invasion.

As I have said previously I hope that history proves Wolfowitz’ statement wrong and the liberation of the Iraqi people was worth putting American kids’ lives at risk on the scale we did.

6 Comments:

  • At 8:07 AM, Blogger dax said…

    Oh please!
    The press isn't touching Iraq because things are going relatively well. Ray Charles can see that!
    Also, it's foolish to "hang your hat" on polls. Polls nowadays are designed to be used as news to favorably advance the agenda of the "poll-taker" and todays poll-takers can make numbers dance.

     
  • At 7:46 PM, Blogger Too Many Jims said…

    "The press isn't touching Iraq because things are going relatively well. Ray Charles can see that!"

    That may well be (I can't see where I said that the press was or wasn't covering Iraq), but I was trying to answer the question asked by E&P, i.e. Will the press cover why support for the war has waned?

     
  • At 4:14 PM, Blogger job opportunitya said…

    Charming blog. Your site was off the chain and I
    will return! When I get the time I look for blog like
    this one.
    Go and click my blog.

     
  • At 7:32 PM, Blogger job opportunitya said…

    I look for blogs as great as your work. Fine
    blog. I found your site suitable for another visit!
    Please come by and see my home equity loan vs line blog.

     
  • At 3:40 AM, Blogger job opportunitya said…

    Exciting blog. The site out did itself and will be
    back! I love surfing the internet for blogs that are
    exactly like this blog.
    Once you sign on, check for my home equity loan vs equity line of credit blog.

     
  • At 1:25 PM, Blogger limosuine said…

    Exciting blog. The site out did itself and will be
    back! I love surfing the internet for blogs that are
    exactly like this blog.
    Look who checking out my allied cash advance blog?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home