RadicallyCentered

Occassional reflections of a moderate (hey at least I think I am)

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

My e-mail to Sen. Voinovich re: the Bolton nomination

I am a resident and voter in Ohio. Today I was watching the Senate Committee discussing the Bolton nomination. I am kind of on the fence about this. While I think he is a horrid nominee, I do believe that the President deserves great deference in selecting his administration (thouh I think that leeway does not extend to the same degree to Judicial nominees). So I am sitting there watching and my Senator, Senator Voinovich steps up and says there should be a delay in the vote (I am oversimplifying things here but that is the result) so that the issues surrounding the nominee can be more carefully considered and resolved.

This took a lot of courage and the Senator should be commended.

This is what I wrote in an e-mail to the Senator:

I was actually watching the committee hearing today at which the Bolton nomination was being discussed. Personally, if you end up supporting the nominee under the theory that “the President deserves great deference on his nominees” I would not bat an eye. That being said, I did want to commend you for the courage and independence you displayed in the committee. At a minimum I think the additional time will allow for the issues to be more carefully evaluated. Thank you for your courage and independence.

9 Comments:

  • At 4:11 AM, Blogger dax said…

    The reason your Senator acted the way he did was due to the fact that, according to him, he had missed some of the testimony during the hearings. Where could you Senator have been that was more important?
    And in your e-mail you thank him for "his courage and independence"
    Courage is rushing into a burning building to save a child. Courage is placing yourself in the line of fire to save a buddy. Courage is when you place the safety of onother before yours.
    Do ya feel me?

     
  • At 7:21 PM, Blogger Too Many Jims said…

    I definitely agree that the acts you refer to embody courage and I certainly respect those acts more than I respect what Sen. Voinovich did.

    That said, the word "courage" is clearly applied in other situations. Here is what Webster's says: "mental or moral strength to venture, persevere, and withstand danger, fear, or difficulty". I think that what Sen. Voinovich did satisfies that definition. Even if you disagree with him it takes "mental or moral strength" to say what he said in committee.

     
  • At 6:31 PM, Blogger job opportunitya said…

    Excellent blog. Your site was great and will be
    finding it again!  I surf the net for blogs like
    yours.
    Go and click my home equity loan blog.

     
  • At 4:14 PM, Blogger job opportunitya said…

    Fascinating blog. I loved the site you did a good
    job on it, I will be back! I surf the net for blog
    like this one.
    Where you been? You have got to look at my home equity loan vs equity line of credit blog!

     
  • At 11:23 PM, Blogger job opportunitya said…

    Wondrous blog. Your site was very pleasing and I
    will go back again! I like surfing the net for blogs
    as good as yours.
    My home equity line of credit blog, is something you need to peep out!

     
  • At 5:31 AM, Blogger job opportunitya said…

    Super blog. I web surf when I have the time for
    blogs like this one.Your site was nice and will be
    visited again!
    Everyday of the month you need to peep my home loan equity line of credit blog.

     
  • At 3:44 PM, Blogger job opportunitya said…

    Charming blog. Your site was off the chain and I
    will return! When I get the time I look for blog like
    this one.
    No matter when you are, just stop by and check for my credit equity home line loan blog site.

     
  • At 1:42 AM, Blogger job opportunitya said…

    Energizing blog. It blew me away and I loved your
    site. when I have the time to surf the net, i try
    finding blogs as good as your site.
    You got me! I will check out your blog a.s.a.p!

     
  • At 7:33 AM, Blogger job opportunitya said…

    Exciting blog. The site out did itself and will be
    back! I love surfing the internet for blogs that are
    exactly like this blog.
    Stop by and visiit my home equity line of credit blog!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home